Graveyards in Limavady Borough Which Opened Prior to the End of 1980

Abbreviations used:

CI – Church of Ireland
Pres – Presbyterian
RC – Roman Catholic
RP – Reformed Presbyterian

DGC – Derry Genealogy Centre

The use of the word ‘Old’ to denote a graveyard indicates that the burial ground is an ancient one, dating from before the Reformation and Plantation, and usually the site of a medieval parish church.

The OS (Ordnance Survey) grid reference for each graveyard is taken from the Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland Discoverer Series. Sheets 4, 7 and 8 cover Limavady Borough.

The co-ordinates were worked out using the website http://iTouchmap.com. These are usually to within 100 metres.

In the column headed ‘Published’ T. G. Bennett’s transcriptions in Irish Family Links are noted. For the most part Bennett only recorded inscriptions with dates of death prior to 1865.

In the column headed ‘DGC online’ we have noted whether the gravestone inscriptions are in the DGC database and available online at www.rootsireland.ie. If the name of the graveyard in the DGC database is different from the graveyard name used here, the name used by DGC is given in this column.

An asterisk (*) indicates that the graveyard is located just outside Limavady Borough, but included here because it was used by many families from the Borough.

Graveyard name Civil parish Townland/town OS grid reference

Co-ordinates

Published

DGC online

Other information

Aghanloo CI

Aghanloo

Drumbane

C679275

55.09026,-6.93645

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 3 (March 1985)

Aghanloo New CI

The church on this site was constructed in 1826 and has been described as ‘one of the prettiest’ to have been built by the Board of First Fruits.

Aghanloo Old

Aghanloo

Rathfad

C679279

55.093742,-6.93718

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 3 (March 1985)

Yes

Aghanloo means the ‘little ford of Lugha’ after Lugha or Luggeius, the patron saint. In the medieval period this was the site of a parish church. In 1622 this church was in ruins, but was repaired soon afterwards and served as the Church of Ireland church. By 1806 the church was gain in ruins and considered unfit for repair. It was therefore abandoned and a new church was built a quarter of a mile away in 1826. Only faint traces of the foundations of this church survive.

Ballykelly Pres

Tamlaght Finlagan

Drummond

C631223

55.043869,-7.014041

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 4 (May 1985)

Yes

This burial ground adjoins one of the most architecturally distinguished churches in Limavady Borough. Built at a cost of £4,000, met by the Fishmongers’ Company, the church was completed in 1828.
Ballymonie Old RC

Bovevagh

Ballymoney

C618096

54.9299,-7.036877

Bovevagh Old RC

This was formerly the location of a Catholic chapel built in 1825, which was replaced in the 1920s by a new church a short distance away.

Ballymonie RC

Bovevagh

Ballymoney

C619095

54.929296,-7.035413

Bovevagh RC

This graveyard adjoins the relatively new Catholic church which was built in 1924-5 and dedicated to St Peter and St Paul.

Balteagh CI

Balteagh

Ardmore

C708209

55.030426,-6.894007

Ardmore New (Limavady)

In 1815/6 a new church was built across the road from the old one in and this church continues in use. It is surrounded by a graveyard, but most of the inscriptions are from the latter part of the twentieth century.

Balteagh Old

Balteagh

Ardmore

C707209

55.030233,-6.894758

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 4 (May 1985)

Ardmore Old (Limavady)

This was the site of a medieval parish church. In 1622 this church was in ruins, but later in the seventeenth century it was repaired as a Church of Ireland church. Damage caused by a violent storm in the autumn of 1777, followed by a period of neglect, during which time the materials of the church were pilfered by the local inhabitants, resulted in the church falling into disrepair. In 1806 it was stated that there was ‘no church’ in this parish. Instead services were held elsewhere, including at the glebe-house, though each new rector had to take a service in the ruined church on the Sunday after his installation in order to validate his appointment. A new church was built across the road from the old one in 1815/6 and this church continues in use. The ruins of the old church have been largely removed. In the 1830s it was recorded that the graveyard was enclosed by a wall on the side next the road and by good fences on the other sides. At that time, it was used primarily by the local Catholic population. At the south end is the ‘Priest’s Mound’ where at four priests are known to be buried there.

Balteagh Pres

Balteagh

Lislane

C715189

55.012545,-6.882119

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 4 (May 1985)

Yes

This congregation dates from the 1820s.

Banagher CI

Banagher

Rallagh

C659064

54.900431,-6.973454

Banagher New CI

Surrounded by mature trees, this graveyard adjoins Banagher Church of Ireland church which was built in 1780-84 in a simple Gothic style.

Banagher Old

Banagher

Magheramore

C675066

54.902547,-6.947619

Banagher means ‘the place of the pointed hills or peaks. There was a church here from at least 1121 for in that year the Annals of Ulster record that ‘Gilla Espoig Eoghain O’Hennery was slain by his own kinsmen in the midst of the cemetery of Banagher’. When Archbishop Colton visited the church in 1397 he held a special service of reconciliation in the cemetery because blood had been shed therein. In 1622 the church was ruined. It was not repaired. In the graveyard is a small building said to be the tomb of the parish’s patron saint, St Moresius or Muiredach O’Heney.

*Banagher Pres

Banagher

Ballyhanedin

C610057

54.894793,-7.048459 The inscriptions are available for free on the website www.historyfromheadstones.com (Case Studies section)

Bovevagh CI

Bovevagh

Bovevagh

C677133

54.962967,-6.9441

Bovevagh New CI

This church was built in the 1820s to replace the now ruined church at Old Bovevagh.

Bovevagh Old

Bovevagh

Bovevagh

C667141

54.969109,-6.958315

Yes

This was the site of a medieval parish church. In 1622 this church was in ruins, but was repaired some time after this as a Church of Ireland church. In 1806 the church was again in ruins. It was shortly afterwards abandoned for good. The graveyard is used by both Protestants and Catholics. It contains a small church-shaped stone tomb or mortuary house, very similar to the one at Old Banagher.

Bovevagh Pres

Bovevagh

Camnish

C691121

54.951731,-6.922417

Yes

This congregation dates back to the beginning of the eighteenth century.

Derramore Pres

Drumachose

Derrymore

C703248

55.06551,-6.899929

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 4 (May 1985)

Derrylane Pres

This congregation was founded in the 1820s.

Drumachose CI

Drumachose

Limavady

C672234

55.053798,-6.94985

Limavady CI

In 1622 religious services for the Protestant settlers in this parish were being held in a house in Limavady for which the parishioners paid a yearly rent of £1 6s. 8d. Some time after this a church was built in the town. In 1743 the vestry minutes record an order for a wall to be built around the churchyard. A vestry meeting of 15 April 1753 had to be adjourned to the churchyard because there were concerns that the church was about to collapse. The following week the church was condemned as unsafe and an order was issued for its demolition. A new church was then built on the site of the old one. In 1880-81 alterations were carried out to this church.

Drumachose Old

Drumachose

Fruithill

C693231

55.050753,-6.916237

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 4 (May 1985)

Old Drummond

In the medieval period this was the site of a parish church. At different times it was also known as ‘Ecclesia de Ro’ or the ‘Church of the Roe’ after the river that flows through the parish. By 1622 this church was in ruins. It does not appear to have been repaired. In the Ordnance Survey Memoir of the parish from 1835 it was noted that the church ruins were preserved with great care by Marcus McCausland Esq. who was ‘cultivating the growth of ivy on it, both as an ornament and a means of preserving it’. The graveyard itself was said not to contain the grave of ‘any individual of celebrity’ and to have been mainly used by the ‘better class of farmers’.

Drumachose Pres

Drumachose

Limavady

C675233

55.052867,-6.943864

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 5 (Sept. 1985)

DGC

This congregation was founded in the 1740s following a dispute over the choice of minister in the original Presbyterian congregation of Limavady.

Drumsurn New RC

Balteagh

Drumsurn Lower

C719171

54.989685,-6.863569

Drumsurn New Chapel

At the beginning of the twentieth century a new Catholic church was built here to serve the Drumsurn and Gelvin districts – though rather closer to Drumsurn than the people of Gelvin would have liked. It opened in 1902 and was dedicated to St Matthew.

Drumsurn Old RC

Balteagh

Drumsurn Lower

C728164

54.995588,-6.876245

Drumsurn Old Chapel

The ruins of this old chapel date back to 1796 and continued in use until St Mathew’s Church was opened at the beginning of the 1900s.

Dungiven CI

Dungiven

Dungiven

C694091

54.924841,-6.91893

Yes

A new Church of Ireland church was built in the town of Dungiven in the early 18th century. It was rebuilt in 1816.

Dungiven Priory

Dungiven

Dungiven

C692083

54.917316,-6.920979

Dungiven Old Priory

This was the site of medieval priory. In the early seventeenth century the former priory was converted to Protestant worship and served as the parish church of Dungiven until the early eighteenth century. The 1622 visitation noted: ‘At Dungiven where the priory stood, and where is their chief plantation, there is a commodious church in good repayre, in wch the cure is served’. The ruins of the priory still stand and contain the tomb of Cooey na Gall O’Cahan dating from the late 14th century. In the 1830s it was recorded that the burial ground adjoining Priory contained a ‘large assemblage of monumental stones’, many of which featured coast of arms. The earliest dated gravestone is inscribed ‘This stone is made for MacClosky Mor Closky 1672′.

Dungiven RC

Dungiven

Dungiven

C695085

54.919459,-6.917015

Yes

The present church was built in 1883-4 and dedicated to St Patrick.

Enagh Cemetery

Drumachose

Limavady

C681218

55.038865,-6.935871

This cemetery opened in 1980, with the first burial in November of that year.

*Faughanvale CI

Faughanvale

Eglinton

C529204

55.028076,-7.17272

Eglinton CI

The present church was built in the 1820s on a site adjoining its predecessor, a church built in the early 1600s by the Grocers’ Company of London, and now in ruins.

Faughanvale Old

Faughanvale

Faughanvale

C579209

55.032436,-7.094947

DGC

This was the site of the medieval parish church, with portions of the gables still standing. In the 1830s it was said that this graveyard was ‘the usual burying place for the very poorest of the parishioners’.
*Faughanvale Pres

Faughanvale

Tullanee

C538205

55.029496,-7.158451

Presbyterians living in this area originally belonged to Glendermott Presbyterian Church, but in 1731 this congregation acquired a minister of its own.

Faughanvale RC

Faughanvale

Cregan

C550213

55.035565,-7.14254

Cregan RC (Faughanvale)

Though the present church is a modern one, it was built adjacent to its predecessor of 1799.

Fincairn RC

Banagher

Fincarn

C635048

54.886338,-7.010275

Yes

The foundation stone of the present church, dedicated to St Joseph, was laid in 1888. It was built a short distance from its predecessor, a T-shaped building which was reckoned in 1837 to be then over 80 years of age.

Gelvin Old RC

Dungiven

Gortgarn

C727134

54.963631,-6.866262

Known as the Binn Chapel, this building was erected in the 1840s. After St Matthew’s Church in Drumsurn opened in 1902, the structure was converted to a school and remained as such until 1967. In 1998 Gelvin Community Association purchased the building and restored it.

Largy Pres

Carrick

Largy

C673186

55.0107,-6.949711

Yes

The foundation stone of this meeting house was laid in 1831 and the building was completed soon afterwards.

Limavady 1st Pres

Drumachose

Limavady

C677233

55.05199,-6.940945

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 5 (Sept. 1985)

Yes

This congregation began as a Secession Church in 1748. When the Seceders joined the Synod of Ulster in forming the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland in 1840, this congregation was designated First Limavady.

Limavady RC

Drumachose

Limavady

C672226

55.045825,-6.950119

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 5 (Sept. 1985)

Yes

This burial ground adjoins St Mary’s RC Church in Irish Green Street in Limavady. St Mary’s was the replacement for the Roemill chapel and its foundation stone was laid in 1836.

Limavady RP

Drumachose

Limavady

C676224

55.044289,-6.942909

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 5 (Sept. 1985)

Limavady Covenanters

The congregation was established at the beginning of the 1800s and a meeting house was built here in 1806. It was replaced by the present structure in 1888.

Magilligan RC

Tamlaghtard

Tamlaghtard

C678313

55.12506,-6.937652

St Aidens RC

This burial ground adjoins St Aidan’s RC Church and is adjacent to Tamlaghtard Old graveyard.

Magilligan Pres

Tamlaghtard

Margymonaghan

C675336

55.144844,-6.940763

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 6 (Jan. 1986)

Yes

This congregation was founded in 1813 and the present building was erected in 1863.

Myroe Pres

Tamlaght Finlagan

Lomond

C661261

55.077737,-6.965729

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 6 (Jan. 1986)

Yes

This congregation was established in the 1820s.

St Canice’s RC, Limavady

Drumachose

Limavady

C673215

55.037102,-6.947597

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 5 (Sept. 1985) & vol. 2, no. 6 (Jan. 1986)

Old RC Limavady

This was the site of the old Roemill chapel in Limavady which was built in 1783 when Rev. John McKane was priest. This chapel was replaced by St Mary’s in Irish Green Street c.1840 and subsequently demolished

Tamlaght Finlagan CI

Tamlaght Finlagan

Ballykelly

C633224

55.045701,-7.011294

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 3 (March 1985)

Ballykelly CI

This church was built to replace the old Walworth building in 1795 and is considered the ‘most elegant’ of all the churches constructed by the Earl Bishop.

Tamlaght Old

Tamlaght Finlagan

Mulkeeragh

C652219

55.040465,-6.980771

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 4 (May 1985)

Yes

St Columbcille is said to have founded an abbey here in 585. In the medieval period this was the site of a parish church. This church was in ruins in 1622 and was not repaired. In the 1830s it was noted that the ‘churchyard continues to be used occasionally, but chiefly by those in the low walks of life’.

Tamlaghtard CI

Tamlaghtard

Duncrun

C687323

55.133166,-6.923752

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 6 (Jan. 1986)

Duncrun CI

This church was built between 1778 and 1787 to replace the now ruined church in Old Tamlaghtard graveyard.

Tamlaghtard Old

Tamlaghtard

Tamlaghtard

C678313

55.12506,-6.937652

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 6 (Jan. 1986)

St Aidens Mixed

This was the site of a medieval parish church. In 1622 it was reported that the pre-Reformation parish church had been repaired by William Gage Esq., the bishop’s tenant. The ruins of this church stand on a height with excellent views to the north and west. Adjacent to the ruined church is a nineteenth-century Roman Catholic church. Bennett calls it Magilligan RC graveyard.

The Hollow RC

Tamlaght Finlagan

Oghill

C622211

55.034416,-7.026712

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 4 (May 1985)

Yes

There are two sections to this graveyard, one the former site of a Catholic chapel, and the other of much more recent date. The church on a height overlooking the graveyard is dedicated to St Finlough and was built in 1849-51. Bennett calls it St Finlough’s RC graveyard.

Walworth Old

Tamlaght Finlagan

Ballykelly

C622228

55.048107,-7.026985

Irish Family Links, vol. 2, no. 4 (May 1985)

Yes

This was the site of a medieval chapel. In 1622 the Fishmongers’ Company had ‘re-edifyed and enlarged an old chappell, adding a chancell thereunto, in the chief place of their plantation’. This church continued in use until the 1790s. Its ruins survive. On the outside of the south wall of the chancel is an inscribed sandstone slab recording the reconstruction of the chancel by Frederick Hamilton; only the date 1719 is now legible.

Workhouse burial ground

Drumachose

Limavady

C677230

55.049635,-6.941149 This was the burial ground attached to Limavady workhouse and was used for the interment of paupers from 1841 to 1931. There are no inscribed headstones, but there is now a plaque marking the spot.